Monday, November 2, 2009

We'll file these under "Duh"

The BBC is reporting on a study linking depression to processed foods.

And check this out, particularly this paragraph (italics mine):

In spite of their pledges to reduce unhealthy marketing to children, the large cereal companies continue to target children with their least healthy products. Child cereals contain 85% more sugar, 65% less fiber and 60% more sodium when compared to adult cereals. In fact, not one cereal that is marketed directly to children in the United States would be allowed to advertise to children on television in the United Kingdom. Only one, Cascadian Farm Clifford Crunch, would be eligible to be included in cereals offered through the USDA Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program. In addition, 42% contain potentially harmful artificial food dyes.

Is it any wonder kids can't concentrate in school? Now, I'm not going to get all up on my high horse, because I've eaten several handfuls of Halloween candy in the last week. I will say, however, that I do not eat candy as a general rule; and if my heart races and my ability to concentrate plummets eating that amount of sugar as an adult, I can't even imagine what it must be like trying to process that much sugar in a 40-lb body.

Dad, this one's for you:
Junk food is as addictive as heroin.

No comments: