Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Thinking about Thanksgiving

I realized the other day that this will be the first Thanksgiving in a few years that I've even been in the country, and many more years since I've actually celebrated Thanksgiving (thank you, bad breakups). So naturally, I'll have to do something this year. Ideally, I'd like to invite over a bunch of people who don't have family plans already and do a big traditional dinner, complete with football and turkey and pumpkin pie. We'll see if I can manage to pull that off--perhaps John and I will just be eating Thanksgiving leftovers for the month of December, because I'll probably cook the same amount of food regardless.

D'Artagnan is selling fresh, free-range, organic, heritage breed turkeys. They're exponentially more expensive than the supermarket sale turkey (Safeway frozen turkeys, 8-12 lbs: $5), but guess which one tastes better? Also, can you really trust an entire 12 lb turkey selling for $5? D'Artagnan may end up getting a lot of money from me this month: they're also selling wild boar, tasso, quail eggs, duck bacon...I'll stop before I drool all over the keyboard.

Here's a possible menu:
Turkey and gravy (duh)
Butternut squash soup with fried sage leaves
Shittake mushroom stuffing
Beet-mashed potatoes
Cranberry and apple terrine
Bacon and almond quinoa
Edamame salad with beets and greens
Creamed spinach with truffle oil
Roasted sweet potato and okra salad
Possibly bourbon corn pudding
Fresh pumpkin pie

With a couple of nice pinot noirs. Oooh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Now picture the above, and then compare it to this:
The 20 Worst Kids' Foods in America

No comments: