Thursday, November 5, 2009

Birthday! Part 1

Temperature check: 70. Sunny.

Every birthday I've had for the last ten years, it was between 40 and 47 and raining. Possibly longer than that, I can't remember back that far. Today: I'm walking around in a tank top and bare legs. And I haven't touched an umbrella since I moved here.

Thanksgiving update: A big foodie extravaganza seems unlikely. John implied our chances of getting non-family to come over for Thanksgiving dinner was slim to none. Thanksgiving seems kind of beside the point without family, anyway, doesn't it? And while I'd love to cook a feast for the two of us, I suspect we'd both choke on the leftovers within six days. It's just not a proper holiday without a crowd. That's one of the reasons I've been traveling on Thanksgiving the last few years (well, that, and you can get amazing international deals then). So now I think I'll revive my travel tradition, rent a car, and see some national parks.

This may not sound like the most exciting vacation at first, but I missed quite a few of them my first time through California, and it'll make for a great frugal last-minute vacation. My plan so far is to rent a car and see Joshua Tree and Yosemite National Parks, then come back via Big Sur (I didn't get any pictures the first time) and Hearst Castle. We can pack sandwiches, sleep at the Motel 6, and photograph some amazing scenery. Looking through Ansel Adams' pictures of Yosemite, I'm pretty excited about this plan. Plus my National Parks Pass is good through May, so I feel obliged to get some more use out of it.

No comments: