Friday, January 29, 2010

Addendum to Deep Thoughts on a Friday

Oh, and my aunt's in Haiti. She's a nurse. Currently fixing broken people. So there's that to think/pray/worry about, too.

My aunt and uncle go to Haiti every year on a mission trip, so she knows the country well and is able to travel around with people she already knows. Fortunately her updates are regular and the country is not the seething cesspool of violence CNN makes it out to be. Most people are helpful and courteous and do not fight each other while waiting in line for clean water. But there is too little food, clean water and medical attention to go around. The water runs grey with filth and the air is thick with the smell of rotting bodies. Wounds are beginning to fester because they've been untended for so long. I hope she's able to fix some people, and get home safely. And I think I'm going to go update my earthquake insurance.

No comments: