Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wedding flashbacks

I spent the holiday weekend running errands, as this was the first instance in recorded history in which I actually got MLK Day off. Much of it was food-related: checking out butcher shops and cheese shops and trying to find raw milk and whatnot, and then turning all of that into yummy things to eat. But item number one was getting the wedding invitations printed and put together.

Aside: they look great, and since it's a small wedding, the stuffing and addressing took about 15 minutes. But I had multiple flashbacks to my first so-called wedding (or rather, the wedding that wasn't) during this process.

The first time I dealt with wedding invitations, and wedding planning in general, my overriding emotion was...well, nothing. I kept thinking, "I should be excited about this. I should feel something," which, of course, eventually escalated into full-fledged dread and then panic. Mostly I just felt like I should want this, because everyone else around me did. This time, however, I am actually excited. And there's also a healthy undercurrent of curiosity. I want to get married because I'm in love and I want to spend the rest of my life with him, of course, and I'm also curious about what's on the other side. I know what single life is like. Intimately. We're good there, thanks. Now it's time to embark on yet another great adventure--married life.

I also finished a very rough first draft of the book about the road trip. Rough being the operative word, but I'm feeling all kinds of productive these days.

No comments: