Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pockets update

I sent a wedding invitation to Pockets, with a note. In it, I asked her forgiveness. I told her I missed her, that I couldn’t imagine my wedding day without her, that I hoped she wouldn’t sacrifice thirty years of friendship over this.

Her Facebook status later proclaimed me to be "selfish," "without respect or boundaries," and "stupid."

So, lessons learned. I don't think I can say or do anything else at this point to win her back. Maybe I just have to chalk this up as the cosmic price I have to pay for love and happiness. Maybe my mother was right about her all along. Maybe I should have listened to my brother all those years ago when she blew up on him in a similar fashion. Well, anyway. Net loss: one best friend. Net gain: a husband, a son, and some pretty super rockin' in-laws. There's no real contest, of course. But. Damn. I miss her.

1 comment:

KB said...

Give it time. It may take several years but 30 years will end up meaning something to her in the long run. Just stay open and touch base every so often. Wish for her happiness. You did nothing to spite her - you simply fell in love - and it was meant to be. Hopefully when the time is right she will embrace that and realize the gift in two close friends of hers finding love with each other. I've had deep friendships become devastated and the ones that this happened to and that hurt the most - were because the friendships were deep enough to leave scars when they became broken. The people who meant the most to me and who I though I'd lost - are now, years later, back in my life and it's such a gift. Give it time.