Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I have a job!

That is, a permanent one! My temp job was officially made perm today--the financial firm I've been working for is finally extending an offer. Pro: they're offering more money than I'm currently making as a temp. Plus benefits. Con: that amount is more than $20K less than what I was making in New York, in essentially the exact same position. More con: I could make that NY amount in LA or San Francisco. San Diego's labor force seems to be retardedly underpriced.

But there's not really anything I can do about it--the high-priced jobs don't really exist here and the salary offer they made was firm (non-negotiable; and yes, I asked). So I'm taking it, and breathing a sigh of relief. Now I can go to the dentist, start my 401k back up, and not have to worry about my paycheck disappearing.

(Well, sort of. If this past year has taught me anything, it's that you can't assume anything. So I find it helpful to assume two completely contradictory things at once, i.e., I will have this job for the next year, and, I could lose my job tomorrow. But hopefully not.)

No comments: