Thursday, July 16, 2009

Glacier National Park

12 hours of driving is still a lot. Yesterday's batch, though, was over a large section of my new favorite interstate: I-15. 15 runs north/south through Montana, Idaho and Utah before it swings through Vegas and south into California. The northern parts (MT, ID and UT) are beautiful and largely deserted. The road runs through a bunch of national forests and some of the most underpopulated parts of the country, so it makes for some lovely driving. Great scenery, fast speed limit, no billboards, and best of all, no other cars. Yesterday, while it was a long day, was definitely one of the top days I've had in terms of scenery.

I started the day in Glacier National Park, which was draped in early morning fog. It didn't start to burn off until almost 10 am, and not even then in lots of places. And it was COLD. There was snow on the ground in spots. Snow. In July. I know what you're thinking: "OK, Jenny, key word Glacier," but still. Snow! However, it was gorgeous. Even the drive back out to the interstate, two hours of a pokey two-lane mountain road filled with RVs, was gorgeous (but frustrating). My mood improved considerably once I hit the interstate and started driving through the Rockies. I headed south toward Idaho Falls before cutting over to Jackson, WY. I found some more two-lane mountain roads that were completely deserted. Hooray! And I did take a perverse pleasure in blasting out a national forest with some Beastie Boys. Mood saved.

No comments: