Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Denver, CO and Kansas City, MO

In a way, Denver was the city that wasn't. I spent my one full day there recuperating from the road trip. I got a deep tissue massage, then a 75-minute pedicure, then a hot stone massage, and let me tell you. I am no longer tense. Sore, and a little bruised, from the deep tissue massage, but completely un-tense. Civilization is a beautiful thing.

I spent dinner last night with two old friends from grad school in Boulder, then woke up early this morning to drive across Kansas. Here is my impression of Kansas: corn, corn, corn, and more corn. Oh look, hay! More corn. Wyoming was at least interesting in its nothingness; Kansas, not so much. Fortunately time all blurred together so that the drive seemed shorter than it actually was (8 1/2 hours). And I am happy to report that I've now had the penultimate couchsurfing experience.

The other couchsurfing experiences on this trip were fine: a place to sleep, usually clean, with nice people. I had a very lovely host in Denver who split a bottle of wine with me, for example. But Kansas City's hostess has been the best so far. She hosted another guy from Switzerland at the same time, and took us both out for beers and to Oklahoma Joe's, #13 on Anthony Bourdain's "13 Places You Have to Go Before You Die" list. Quite possibly the only place on his list where you can buy a souvenir t-shirt.

No comments: