Monday, May 4, 2009

Sweet Virginia, to quote the Rolling Stones

I had a nice long weekend at home, visiting the folks and old friends. I spent most of Friday eating my mom's biscuits and gravy, then went out to a wine bar in Roanoke I'd been meaning to try and had a fried oyster po'boy (which goes surprisingly well with Caymus Conundrum). Saturday I had dinner at the Inn at Riverbend in Pearisburg; I helped make truffle cream crostini, and we had a salad with warm bacon vinaigrette, crab cakes with a green chile chutney, beef tenderloin with a morel-red wine sauce, and dark chocolate mousse for dessert, along with two bottles of Stag's Leap cab and one of Acacia Pinot Noir 2006. It's always great to have dinner with old friends, but especially when the setting is that beautiful and someone else does the cooking.

No comments: