Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What I want to be when I grow up

To date, I have zero confirmed slots for Two Blind Cats' first dinner on Saturday. Now, I suspected that would be the case. These things take time to build, especially since the only advertising is through word of mouth. Worst case scenario: no one shows up, I have a lot of really good wine to get drunk on. Still. My self-esteem is taking a hit, and my self-esteem has already taken some major hits in the last few weeks.

Which is probably why I'm revisiting the perennial classic: What do I want to be when I grow up? Answer: I have no idea. I can't think of a single job that combines food, wine and theatre, unless I were to start the world's first gourmet dinner theatre, showing only non-crappy plays (actually, that's not a bad idea--but who would finance it? In this economy, especially). I'd hate to pick one to the exclusion of the others, and unfortunately, I'm not old, gay or male enough to be a theatre critic for the New York Times.

Periodically I think about going to law school to become an entertainment lawyer. Pros: I could make good money upon graduation, in a field I know and care a lot about, possibly in LA, which is much warmer than NY. Cons: racking up another six figures in student loan debt, so I can work 16-18 hours a day poring over intellectual copyright law for the first three years out of school. Pros: Using my brain at work. Cons: Using my brain at work. Culinary school costs just as much as law school--seriously, it does--and I'd be guaranteed nothing except working for $12 an hour for several years and never seeing a Saturday night again. Ditto sommelier training. Going back to school to become a winemaker would require an undergraduate degree in some sort of science and lots of classes in organic chemistry and botany--far less interesting than just drinking a lot of wine, and I have no aptitude at all for chemistry and advanced science. I'd love to work in theatre--except that it will never pay enough for me to be able to pay back the student loans I already have.

That's why I had structured my life the way I had--day job that makes enough to pay the bills, while I explore all the things I love on the side. But I'm having trouble finding another day job, and frankly, I don't want to be a corporate whore. I'd rather bartend than sit under flourescent lights poking at Excel spreadsheets all day, but I have no interest in working in the restaurant industry long-term. Besides, I like getting a regular paycheck. With health benefits.

I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this matter--should I consider law school? Should I quit whining and go pound the pavement some more? Should I sell everything I own and move to Brazil?

No comments: