Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Packing

Guidebooks, road atlas, GPS: check.
Hat, sunscreen: check.
Laptop, phone, iPod, various cords: check.
Books: check.
The rest of the wine collection, to distribute to my hosts along the way: check.
Cats, cat toys: check.
A deck of cards, Trivial Pursuit: check.
Camera: check.

I'm mostly packed, and while I'm anxious to get started, I'm a little scared, too. There are a lot of things that could go wrong. But I worry too much as it is, and I don't take enough risks. This trip feels right to me, even though--or perhaps because--it scares me. If I ever want to make money doing something I love, I will have to take risks. Failure doesn't scare me. Being trapped does.

So:
Emergency cash and roll of quarters: check.
Flashlight: check.
Emergency radio: check.
Band-Aids, Pepto-Bismol, Ace bandage: check.
Pepper spray: check.
Passport: check.
Listing of the US's best barbecue joints: check.

No comments: