Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Home again, home again



The great thing about having an unemployed husband, and working in the restaurant industry, is that you can basically take a vacation whenever you want.

Granted, I'm not getting paid for that time off. But we no longer have to worry about parceling out a measly two weeks of vacation every year, or planning way in advance.

So we spent last week in Virginia with my family and friends (since the restaurant was going to be closed three days for the July 4th holiday anyway). I slept ten hours a night, I ate three meals a day--at normal times--and most importantly, I sat. A lot. I was almost completely off-grid, since I can't get a cell signal or internet at my parents' house, and the most strenuous thing I did all week was wander through the garden in triple-digit heat.

Have I mentioned lately how much I enjoy sitting?

I may have to take a week off again in a couple of months. I like not being tethered to the corporate teat.

Anyway, while I was there, I cooked a big meal for dear friends, and I caught up with another childhood friend that I hadn't seen in the better part of 20 years. I hung out with my niece, now 18 months old, read a few books, and finally got the dent banged out of the back of my car. (There's one thing to be said for country living--it's cheap. An oil change, fluid check, and dent repair for the Prius cost me all of $32. Total.)

I brought back a fair amount of my mom's garden, to feed us for the next week or so. It's back to the grindstone now--I'm working all week, and hubs is redoubling his job search efforts and applying for a lot more stuff. It may be a while before anything definitive happens on that front, so we both may have to get used to this new normal.

No comments: