Saturday, March 3, 2012

New job!

That interview I went to on Monday? I got the job!

It's the top restaurant in Boston (really, in all of New England). It has a famous chef (Best Chef in Boston, one of America's Best New Chefs), an eight-course tasting menu, a lengthy wine list that I'm almost entirely unfamiliar with, and a constantly changing menu. Working there will mean making a lot more money, but also working a lot harder. The training process will be intense--I'll have to learn everything there is to know about the menu, the wine, the drinks, then work as a back server while training to become a front server in short order. Plus I'll be driving to Boston, an hour each way.

What does this mean? Well, more money. Enough to make the commute worth it. It also means I'll give up my two jobs here in Providence. I'll be taking the next step up in my newfound restaurant career; I got hired for my brains, not merely my ability to carry a tray, and I'll actually be using my brains in this job. There's homework, quizzes, classes outside of work, you name it. This is not a restaurant that allows its staff to slack off. That's the most exciting part to me--that there will be learning, and intellectual stimulation, and people around me who value my brain.

It also means I'm going to be working A LOT in the coming weeks. Which is fine--my DH has been working his butt off, putting in 16-hour days on a regular basis, and I figure if he's going to be working that much in the coming months, I might as well work that much, too.

No comments: