Monday, March 19, 2012

86 me!

"86" is restaurant slang for "no more." If we run out of steak, the call goes out: "86 steak!" Or "86 Anchor Steam!" Or "86 clams, sub mussels!" Or whatever.

So, since Saturday night was my last night at the Providence restaurant, 86 me!

It was a long day. I worked a double, but ended up getting out early, since we were slow. (Apparently people don't want to eat a nice meal out on St. Patrick's Day--they just want to go get drunk on green beer. Thankfully, I managed to avoid all the green beer/drunk people shenanigans.) My hubby met me at the bar and we had a drink and a meal out, just like regular people.

It was a nice way to say goodbye. I've really enjoyed working at that particular restaurant, and I'll miss the people and the chef. I'll be back in to eat and/or drink there on a fairly regular basis; I can only hope my new job will prove to be as rewarding.

I start full-time there this week. Somehow, I managed to get Saturday night off this week; a Saturday night off seems like such an impossible luxury at this point that I still can't quite wrap my brain around it. It'll be my first Saturday night off in six months. It might very well be another six months before I see another one. So I'm taking advantage of it, by throwing our first dinner party. And since it's our first shot at entertaining, I guess it's our housewarming, too. Just in time to work a double on Sunday!

Spring has sprung, I think. I put all the really heavy winter stuff away yesterday (yesterday being my first full day off in three weeks; I did laundry for six hours straight)--the hats, gloves, scarves, long johns, snow boots, etc. I washed and put away the heavy winter coats, and got out the spring jackets and some of the summer clothes. Obviously it'll be a while before we can transition fully from sweaters to shorts, but it made me happy to start the process. It'll be over 60 degrees every day this week. My spinach outside is sprouting!

So, wish me luck as I start the new job officially this week. I'm already intimidated.

No comments: