Monday, April 6, 2009

Updates

I'm back in the Land of Unemployment--and this time, it's a good thing. When I got laid off several weeks ago, within two weeks I'd found another gig (temp to perm) at a hedge fund in town. The money was excellent, but the hours were gruesome. Fortunately it's ending this week. I'm a little sad about losing all that money, but I'm excited about having a few days off. I've alerted all my agencies, and I've got several interviews this week. Hopefully it will only be a week or two before the next (permanent?) opportunity presents itself. While it is unnerving to not have a steady source of income, especially in this town, I'm not panicked about finding something else eventually.

Otherwise there hasn't been a great deal to report. In the past two weekends, I've visited two very lovely new wine bars, Sweet & Lowdown and Terroir, and been to one of my favorite cocktail joints, Death & Co. And saw the new Christopher Durang at the Public, Why Torture is Wrong, and the People Who Love Them. It's always sweetly therapeutic to get wrecked on a couple good bottles of wine with your dear friends, even if sometimes the conversations veer off into forbidden territory. But then, that's what the wine is for, right? To cushion the blow when that happens. I also went to dinner with my roomies at an infamous Mafia hangout in our neighborhood, Marco Polo. Many "Sopranos" jokes were made, but no actual Mafiosi were sighted (to my knowledge, at least).

I'm having a reading of my two plays on the 25th, which has me both nervous and thrilled at the same time. I can't wait to actually hear them out loud; then again, I'm afraid I'll realize they're both big sensationalist pieces of crap when I do. I'm spending this coming weekend in Tampa with my oldest and dearest friend--look for happy, drunken updates with titles like "Where are my panties??" as per my last visit--and another weekend in May in Virginia, in which I shall be treated to a homemade meal by a fellow foodie. It's not often that people cook for me (well, non-family members, anyway).

No comments: