Monday, February 25, 2013

Not what I signed up for

I'm starting to feel like my husband: a lot of good interviews, no actual full-time employment.

Except that I am, technically, employed full-time: but not at the job I want. This wine bar gig is not what I thought it was. I thought I'd be working at a wine bar/bistro, with coffee and tea and such. Instead, it turns out I'm working at a Starbucks, with wine. There's very little waiting on tables, and almost no discussion of wine or food. Mostly, I spend my days at a cash register, calling out for people to come pick up their latte. NOT what I want to be doing, and very definitely nowhere near the amount of money I was making before.

So, back to the drawing board, I guess. I'll stick with it until I can find something better, of course, but it's sucking my will to live. I had a great interview/try-out night of working on Friday at a place I'd LOVE to work, but story of my life: they don't have anything full-time available at the moment. They might be able to wrangle two nights a week to start, which is better than nothing, I suppose. But still. Why is it so difficult to find a full-time job at a decent place out here? Is there really that little turnover?

One of the baristas I work with at the wine bar knows people around town, and says he might be able to hook me up with something. He named two restaurants near the top of my list of places I want to work, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm also sending my resume back out. If this keeps up, I may have to move back to Boston just to work.

The good news is that mom-in-law is doing much better, now that she's at home. She may in fact have several weeks (or possibly even months) left, instead of the 2-4 weeks the doctors originally gave her. Hubs is coming back later this week.

No comments: