Wednesday, February 13, 2013

I have a job! Sort of


More importantly, however, we've just received word that my mother-in-law is dying. The latest round of chemo didn't work, and she's been given two to four weeks to live. My husband will be flying out there soon, as will his son; I'll stay here for a bit longer, I guess, and fly out toward the end.

One of my two jobs is the one I want: working at the Pacific Northwest's top restaurant. But I'm only working there as a back-up server, for when one of the full-time servers is sick or on vacation, so it's not regular work. The other is at a wine bar; it's a cute little funky place, but neither job is what I would call a real money-making opportunity. Both are also very different from my last job, which was high-volume, fast-paced, and stressful (but fun and lucrative). The wine bar is extremely laid-back, and the other place is exceptionally formal dining at a very sedate pace--there's one seating a night, everyone gets the same tasting menu with wine pairings, there's no frantic rushing about for anything.

Still, some money is better than none, so I'll work while I can until circumstances send me to Missouri. I also can't leave the cats here by themselves for an unknown period of time.

Pray for my husband and my in-laws. This will be a hard thing to deal with, and I fear our tentative hold on Seattle is going to be tested.

No comments: