Monday, August 6, 2012

Silicon Valley?

I owe everyone an update, I know. I've been kind of lax about blogging lately, but it's hard to feel like writing when you're working 60 hours a week on your feet and commuting another 12-15 hours on top of that. Traffic is still a nightmare and I still basically want to kill every human on the planet after I get home from work.

Fortunately I had all day yesterday and today off. A weekend day off! Two days off, in a row! The mind boggles. I'm starting to unwind a little.

Last Monday we drove back into Boston for newly-inaugurated wine class at the restaurant, and followed that up with burgers at a gastropub. The name of my restaurant came up in conversation with the bartender, which got us all kinds of unexpected freebies. I was very pleasantly surprised and happy. There's something to this being in the industry thing, after all. We met a friend of mine for a quick drink afterwards. I also found out that another friend of mine, who'd left earlier in the summer for Montana, is now returning to RI this week. Frankly, I'm not sure why, but I'll be glad to have her back in town.

Yesterday we had dinner at my former restaurant, and the cooks really went all out. They sent out wave after wave of new yumminess to us, which we washed down with a cut-rate bottle of wine. Have I mentioned I like this being an insider thing? Good to see everybody again, too.

Hubs had a promising phone interview this week, with a company in Silicon Valley. They make one of his all-time favorite games, so he's keeping his fingers crossed. Silicon Valley is expensive, but at least there are good restaurants there--I wouldn't have to commute all the way to San Fran to work. But if he gets the job and I find out I have two and a half weeks to move cross-country--AGAIN--I may have to scream. I'll worry about that after he gets the job, though. First things first.


No comments: