Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A blast from the past, part 2

Remember that post I wrote about fellow alum Adam Kaufman? Turns out he read it.

*blush*

I went back and re-read it, and I realized that most of my memories of him were shaped entirely by hearsay. I had very little personal contact with him (outside of the hot drunken makeout session), and I don't mean for that to sound like I wanted very little personal contact with him.

On the contrary--most of what I heard from other people made him out to be some sort of acting legend, The Guy Who Is Obviously Way More Talented Than Any of Us Who Will Become Rich and Famous, and so in my brain, he was transformed into the Untouchable Hot Guy Who Will Never Have Anything To Do With Me.

Until, you know, we made out, which if I didn't make that clear in the last post, totally blew my mind.

It blew my mind because the guy who never should have noticed me, did.

And that small pebble set in motion a chain of events that eventually led to me acquiring some measure of self-confidence.

Only some, mind you. I'm still amazed when hot guys hit on me.

But the point of the story is this: hearsay can supplant actual memory. I'll be the first to admit that the intervening years have washed away large chunks of my collegiate memories, so I may have had more contact with Adam than I remember now. But outside of the makeout session, I'm not sure I remember much else about him. I don't think we were ever in any shows together, though I saw him in several. (He was excellent.) I do remember doing a show with Renaissance Theatre, after he had done one there, and being regaled with stories about him. I also remember my fellow theatre majors regaling me with stories about all the auditions and parties he was going to in New York--which, as it turns out, were completely false.

So let this be a lesson to us all: second-hand information may not be accurate. Memories may not be accurate, either.

I went back and rewatched the episode of Mad Men he was in ("Indian Summer," first season, he played the air conditioning salesman). It was really good. He was really good.

So Adam, in case you're still reading, congratulations on your career and your baby and feel free to email me at brokefoodie@hotmail.com if you want to trade war stories about Renaissance sometime.

And the rest of you that know me from college--my God, what else is my brain harboring that's completely inaccurate?

On second thought, don't answer that. It's probably a lot.

No comments: