Friday, November 12, 2010

The house is clean!

I had yesterday off, so I spent the day giving the house a mega-deep-clean. I scrubbed down the walls, the radiators, the cabinets, the doorknobs and doorframes, cleaned all the windows and windowsills, mopped all the floors, and finished by scouring the backyard for usable kindling (of which there was plenty).

I can't even tell you how disgusting it was--apparently no one ever thought to wash down the walls. There was dark chunky stuff embedded in the paint near the toilets. I refuse to speculate on what that was. I poured out at least twelve buckets of black mop water, swept down at least twenty cobwebs, and went through most of a can of Comet and three sponges. I also rearranged some furniture and hung some pictures (strategically, in some cases, to cover holes/marks on the walls).

Now I'm tired. If my landlord ever decides he's going to try to raise my rent, I'm referring him directly to this post.

But we also have a whole bunch of kindling, in the form of fallen twigs and tree branches. One of the advantages of living in the 'burbs, I guess. This weekend we'll need to rake up the foot and a half of fallen leaves covering the yard, and get a compost pile going.

No comments: