Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fish and sunlight

One of the things I really liked about Southern California, apart from the weather, was the light. Even during the winter (“winter”), there were easily 10 or 11 hours of daylight.


Now, it’s full dark at 5 pm here.

No thanks to Daylight Savings Time, I know. In another month, it’ll be full dark at 4:30. Which means it’ll be dark when I leave for work, and dark when I get home, and I’ll never actually see outdoor daylight. Which means the sun streaks in my hair and my tan (“tan”) will disappear, means I’ll get fat and pasty because I’ll be indoors all the time, and means I’ll die of a vitamin D deficiency.

The good news is that I found a fish CSA! Remember the CSA I joined in San Diego, wherein I got a big box of fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables every two weeks? They have one of those here, for fresh fish! They also have one for winter vegetables, which I joined. I’m sure I’ll be up to my eyeballs in cabbages and parsnips soon; I hope they throw some greenery in there periodically. I was mourning the loss of fresh citrus fruit the other day (I bought some oranges here and they were DREADFUL—dry, tasteless, they barely qualified as oranges. The oranges I got in SD were more liquid than solid. Sigh.), but I suppose lots of fresh fish is a decent trade-off.

No comments: