Wednesday, April 14, 2010

No news is good news

We have no money, it's all being saved for the wedding, so we never go out. We're practicing being old married people with no life. With one exception--last week, my better half's work threw a celebratory dinner for his division, at one of the local Italian chains. Think Olive Garden with more kitsch on the walls. Hey, it was free dinner and drinks, we went. But I was reminded of why I don't go to chain restaurants. The drinks were awful, essentially alcoholic glucose. They were all sugar and no actual flavor. The food was equally bad; the meat sauce tasted like it came out of a can and the chicken parmesan was obviously a pre-frozen, pre-breaded cutlet made from leftover chicken parts. I could taste the fake charred grill flavoring. Meanwhile everyone around me was raving about how good everything was. This tells me that either I really am a food snob, or people have appallingly low standards for food. (I suspect some of both.)

Speaking of food, I'm attempting not to buy groceries between, well, six weeks ago and the wedding. Mostly because we can't afford it, all extra money has gone to wedding savings and paying my better half's taxes. But it's also an interesting experiment to see how long a fully stocked pantry can last. It's starting to get bare in places, and I'm becoming increasingly creative. And thank goodness for our biweekly CSA box of fresh fruits and veggies, otherwise we'd have no fresh fruits and veggies right now. The liquor supplies are also starting to run out, but we've got plenty of wine. I did have to break down and make a Sam's run about three weeks ago (I needed cat litter, onions and potatoes, which no household can run without) and I'll have to get more peanut butter to feed the kid, but otherwise I'm pretty sure we can make it. The adults will be eating lots of beans and potatoes, but there's plenty of meat in the freezer. Turns out a well-stocked pantry can last for upwards of two, almost three months without significant replenishment. That means we can leave for the wedding with an empty refrigerator and make a full grocery run when we get back.

There's not really anything to report. This past weekend was our last leisurely one between now and the wedding. Pretty soon I'll have to start scrounging for RSVPs. If you haven't RSVPd, now's your chance!

No comments: