Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas Eve!

Let's review the last year, shall we?

Last year at this time, I was 1. single, 2. living in New York, 3. getting a salary. In the last year, I've been laid off, collected unemployment, travelled the country, met a wonderful man, and moved to California. I've started a new blog, and found a couple of new interests (photography, road-tripping). I haven't drawn a salary since being laid off, in February. I hope never, ever to give my hard-earned money to match.com or eharmony.com ever again. Last year at this time, I'd never been cross-country, never been west of the Mississippi (except for Vegas and San Francisco), never seen any of the most famous national parks. Now I've been cross-country four separate times (to the West Coast, back again, moving to California, now traveling back East) and getting ready to complete #5 when we return to the West Coast. My personal odometer will top 32,000 miles driven this year.

I'm still adjusting to the move, but I'm completely in love with Californian weather. I'm still struggling with some of the big questions that prompted the cross-country odyssey (What do I want to do with my life? How do I get from here to there? Do I want to start a family?, etc.), but I know it will involve cooking and writing in some fashion. This has definitely been one of the more eventful years of the last decade--perhaps the most.

No comments: