Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Great Culinary School Debate

Last night I stopped by the San Diego Culinary Institute while I was out running errands. I chatted with one of the admissions ladies for a few minutes. She ran through the curriculum, and I was surprised to realize I already knew a good bit of it. I was also surprised to realize that the idea of going to culinary school has really taken hold.

Now, granted, if Culinary Institute of America were to offer me a full scholarship, I'd be there tomorrow. But that's not likely to happen. And much as I would enjoy getting and utilizing a degree from CIA, I can't in good conscience rationalize another $80,000 tuition bill. Or two and a half years of full-time study (but wouldn't that be fun? Spending two and a half years banging around in one of the greatest kitchens in the world?).

The cooking school in San Diego is considerably less expensive, and I could finish up in 6-9 months (depending on whether I went full-time or part-time), but I would still be looking at spending just over $20K. For credentialing, essentially, and possibly some improvement on my knife skills. Apparently my cooking knowledge is greater than I thought; one of the exams there is to identify, by taste and smell, 50 different spices. I already own more than 50 different spices, so no problem there. I can already make a bearnaise sauce, beef stock, souffle, and carve up a whole chicken. And frankly, my knives are better than the ones included in their chef's kit. Oh, and they offered no classes in wine or wine pairings. How is that even possible in a culinary school? Another checkmark for CIA.

While I have no idea how I would pull it off, financially speaking, I love the idea of cooking for a living. And of getting the requisite training, even if I already know a lot of the basics. But how to finance it, and my living expenses while getting the degree?

No comments: