Friday, April 12, 2013

When it rains, it pours

After weeks and weeks of being half-employed, I suddenly found myself with three full-time job offers.

I'm finally (almost) up to full-time status at the place I really wanted to work. I've also started working days at a new bar down the street. It's just two days a week right now (with nights dedicated to my current job), but that will open up into more days as outdoor/upstairs seating opens up.

Then, just as I got two jobs squared away, with what looked like some actual money coming in finally, two things happened.

One: I got offered a management position at yet a third restaurant.

Two: Hubs did not get the job he interviewed for here.

Long story short, I didn't take the management job. I couldn't in good conscience quit two perfectly good jobs to start a third (making less money) if there's any possibility I'd have to move somewhere any time soon. And let's be honest; since his job search is renewed, and nationwide at that, there is a real possibility we'd have to move somewhere sometime soon. Maybe not a big possibility, but still, it's higher than zero.

The good news is that it looks like he may be picking up a freelance writing gig, and I'm working two jobs. So fingers crossed, we won't have to dip into savings to live or pay rent anymore.

And who knows; maybe we'll live here for years and years. Maybe we'll move to Florida next month. Maybe North Korea will nuke us and we'll start that family compound in the mountains posthaste. I've given up trying to predict anything.

Speaking of mountains, I'm hoping to arrange a mini-vacation to Alaska in June. My sister and her husband will be there, and it would be awesome to join them for a few days and see the sights. Alaska is the only state I haven't been to.

No comments: