Friday, June 8, 2012

Bankruptcy

That's all, folks. DH's former company has officially declared bankruptcy.

One hopes this means that at some point, we'll be paid his missing back salary and vacation time. But still, it's a blow, and not least because the Providence newspaper published the names and address of all the creditors listed in the bankruptcy filing, which meant A NEWS VAN SHOWED UP AT MY HOUSE LOOKING FOR A COMMENT.


Oh, I have a comment. The comment is, "Fuck you."

I'm pretty sure that shit is illegal. If not, it should be.

Hubs is devastated, as you can imagine; we were hoping there might be some way to turn this all around. I think this means we're definitely moving; even if he gets another job in Boston, the nearest alternative, we'll move to Boston, just to get out of this godforsaken state.

I'm still working 60 hours a week, on my feet. It's hard work, and it's starting to wear on me. The commute is getting worse; it's taking an hour and a half each way sometimes, instead of an hour, because of traffic and construction. Even in the middle of the night, there's traffic, because they're doing construction on the highways and forcing six lanes of traffic into one. It's seriously making me want to drink in my car.

In better news, I had my required employee tasting the other night. We got to dress up and go to my restaurant and have the eight-course tasting menu, with cheese, and wine at cost, just like regular people. The food was amazing, as you might imagine; the wine was amazing; and it was very nice to be there and not be busting my ass. It's a completely different experience from the other side of the table, which is exactly why they want you to do it. From there, it's almost like ninja service; things magically appear and are magically whisked away. I was surprised by how quiet and unobtrusive everything was.

If only the rest of my life could be quiet and unobtrusive right now.

No comments: