Friday, April 13, 2012

Vacation

It's been a great week. We've been vacationing with DH's family in Missouri, and there is nothing better than a week without work, with your hubby. Neither one of us is working, or stressed, or trying to catch up on stuff before work. I'm sleeping a normal amount, at normal hours, eating at normal mealtimes, and not spending 10 hours a day on my feet. I've even had enough time to read--I've plowed through a whole stack of books.

But the best news is that I have a new nephew! Luke William was born on April 11, at 3:36 am, 22 inches, 8 lbs 15 oz. My sister is doing fine (20 hours of labor with no drugs; ooof), and baby Luke appears to resemble his sister. I'm going to call him Cool Hand Luke. He was two weeks and a day overdue.

We've also spent quality time with my stepson, who is now firmly on the edge of adolescence. He's taller, thinner, and seems much more centered. He talks more (and has thrown out some surprising witticisms), and doesn't do as much weird stuff (like running around the backyard by himself, flapping his arms and making robot noises). We're attempting to make summer plans, and we're hoping to take him to Canada this year. We couldn't last year, because I got laid off in the middle of his visit.

Driving to Missouri was the same as it ever was. Long, tiring, still less hassle (and far less expensive) than flying. We didn't do any sightseeing this trip; the siren call of doing nothing all day, and spending quality time with family, was too tempting. I'd forgotten how nice it is to be relaxed.

No comments: