Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Workin' hard for the money, part 2

I forgot when I did the budget for this month that it's December--which is bad, in a sense, because there are all those Christmas expenses. But it's also good, because I now work in a restaurant.

December is a great month for people in the service industry. Everybody eats out a lot and everybody tips well. This past weekend was a good one, tip-wise--I busted my ass, and was running on fumes by Sunday night, but for once the money was really worth it.

Bitching about how my feet hurt all the time aside, I actually really like working in a restaurant again. I like the food, the cocktails, the energy, the passion. I come home with all sorts of food and beverage ideas (though, granted, I'm usually too tired to do anything about them right away), and I like the weirdos that are drawn to restaurant work.

I got a different temp job, too, this one right downtown in a law firm. It's just three days a week, 9 to 1, within walking distance, so I can bring in some extra money without killing myself by literally working all the time.

So I'm working, finishing up Christmas shopping, and keeping my fingers crossed that we'll end the month in the black. If tips continue to be good, and nothing else unexpected happens, we should be just fine.

No comments: