Thursday, December 15, 2011

Turkey! And another sprint to Christmas


Isn't that a pretty turkey? I made my holiday dinner last night, complete with turkey, stuffing, taters, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato pie.

Why did I do that last night, you ask? Instead of, say, next week when my stepson will be here and it will be closer to Christmas?

Because last night was the last night I'll have off between now and Christmas. I'm working every night, starting tonight, until we leave to go to Virginia on Christmas morning. Yes, even Monday, because the restaurant has a special party that night.

That means two things: 1. Lots of money, 2. Lots of exhaustion. Plus I won't really see my stepson for the week he's here, because I'll be working constantly. But that's okay; I'll make lots of money, and I'll see him for the week that we're on vacation, in Virginia.

All the Christmas shopping is done, all my errands are run, all that's left is to work a lot and do laundry periodically so I have something to wear to work. I have a new supply of all-black work clothes, thanks to an Old Navy sale, I have a pair of shoes specially calibrated for restaurant workers, my back is killing me all the time but I can't do anything about that.

More news: went to the liquor store yesterday and bought a bunch of stuff. Working in a restaurant with a craft cocktail program will do wonders for my home bar--I get so many ideas, and I'm being exposed to all these crazy brands I never knew of before--but it won't be so great for my wallet, or my liver.

I've decided that as soon as we're rich and famous, I'm hiring a housekeeper. And getting a massage every week.

I'm sure this last ten-day stretch between now and Christmas will fly by, since I'll be working all the time. If you don't hear from me between now and then, that's why. Besides, my blog posts would probably read something like "Ugh. My feet hurt. My back hurts. I only got five hours of sleep last night. Rinse and repeat."

Still better than being a corporate drone, though.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments: