Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spending money apparently cures sick cats

My cat Steiff got sick the other night.

He threw up three times and was uncharacteristically lethargic. He didn't move much at all, and snapped at me whenever I tried to pick him up. Naturally I was very worried--he's never been sick like that before.

The next day I checked on him at lunch and he still wasn't any better. So I made an appointment at the vet's. His only previous trips to the vet were for neutering and periodic rabies shots.

When I got home from work to take him to the vet, he seemed a little better, at least a little more energetic. But I took him anyway.

The vet poked him and prodded him and said he'd give my cat extra fluids and an appetite stimulant, to make sure he didn't get dehydrated, and he'd do some bloodwork, just in case. Then he charged me $265 for the privilege, and sent me home.

Of course, the minute I got in the door, Steiff ran directly to the food bowl, and returned to his normal, energetic, nosy self. Maybe it was the fluids that made him feel better, but I maintain he just needed someone to pay him $265 worth of attention before he'd deign to act normally.

I also want to point out that getting him neutered--actual SURGERY--only cost me $35.

No comments: