Thursday, May 12, 2011

It's just Wild Kingdom out there

Now I have a GROUNDHOG, too. (Insert swearing here.)

The rabbit at least had the side benefit of being cute (and eating dandelions). I haven't seen an ant inside the house for a couple of days, so maybe the ant bait is working. But a f*%#ing groundhog has absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever--and is a lot harder to get rid of than a rabbit.

For the first time in my life, I wish I had a shotgun. (More to the point, I wish I lived in a place where I could actually fire it at a groundhog--there's a strict no-gun-firing rule in the 'burbs.)

Short of setting the groundhog burrow on fire (not recommended) or pouring concrete down all the tunnel openings (difficult, as I suspect his burrow is in the woods), I can't really kill him without a gun. And there isn't such a thing as groundhog repellent, like the rabbit repellent spray I bought. I'm going to double up on the rabbit spray and hope that the groundhog, being a rodent like the rabbit, will also be repelled. I'm also going to scatter various other smelly substances around the back fence, to include ammonia, mothballs, and cat poop (I read somewhere that the smell of a dog, or at the very least dog poop, will keep a groundhog away; all I have is cat poop, which may not work, but hey, it's not like I have any other use for it).

But if I find anything in my garden nibbled, I'm getting a shotgun anyway, 'burb laws be damned.

No comments: