Friday, December 3, 2010

Got the travel bug again

So I guess it's a good thing we're getting ready to embark on our semi-annual 24-hour-drive to Missouri, huh? I'm sure if you ask me how I feel about road trips the day after that, you'll get slapped. But right now, my wanderlust is itching again.

I think a lot of it has to do with winter. It's dark so early here, and it's getting cold (below freezing at night, every night), and the knowledge that I have another four months of this (at least) ahead of me makes me want to stab myself in the eye. That, coupled with the knowledge that there are far sunnier, warmer places in the world, makes me spend my days researching travel deals.

Also, my stepson will be staying with us for a six-week block of time this summer, and I'd dearly love to do some traveling with him. Yesterday I had a whole slew of ideas for road trips (the best of which was to hit the Icefields Parkway in Canada before full immersion in British Columbia's wineries), but alas, there's only so much travel you can accomplish when you only get two weeks of vacation a year. So I suspect any road trips this summer will consist largely of visits between family members.

The good news is that the five-year outlook is very good for travel opportunities.

The bad news is we're not there yet.

Le sigh.

(However, I'm going to start putting together a list of ideas for extended road trips for when that five-year plan coelesces. So far:

1. Across Canada.
2. Around Australia.
3. Up the Continental Divide to Alaska, and then Alaska.)

No comments: