Thursday, June 17, 2010

Retrenching

So, retrenching this week. Not getting stepson means we don't have to worry about finding a new bigger apartment, which means we can go back to our slightly cheaper lease here and quit paying month-to-month. We'll still need a new(er) car, but Toyota is running 0% financing on new Camrys. With 0% financing, we might actually be able to afford a brand-new car. With the aim to keep it running for the next 18 years until it hits 250,000 miles, like my sister's Camry. I crunched some numbers and if we kick ass and take names, we could pay off a couple of credit cards by the end of the year and a couple more next year, meaning that theoretically we could be completely debt-free (student loans and all) in six years. Ass-kicking to commence immediately.

Speaking of ass-kicking, I've been doing a huge round of doctors' appointments lately. It's the first time I've been able to get any kind of check-up in the last two years, due to my losing my insurance 18 months ago. The dentist was not happy with me. Nor was the dermatologist. (And let me tell you, hearing the words, "Oooh, I don't like the looks of that. Let's razor that off and send it to the lab," from your dermatologist is not a good way to start the day.) However, I'm getting new specs soon, and--hooray!--prescription sunglasses for the first time ever! I'm also trying a new kind of contact lens, which will hopefully get me back to wearing contacts every once in a while.

So for the both of us, this summer will be about 1. doctors' appointments and routine maintenance, 2. new car, 3. ramping up the exercise another notch. Exciting, right? Certainly less exciting than last summer. But hey, new car and all.

Also, I've remembered that spin class is a great way to take out some aggression. I'm going tonight.

No comments: