Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Wild Shad Roe

Last night I finally got around to making the wild shad roe I'd purchased over the weekend. Wild shad roe is a seasonal delicacy, usually available at the very beginning of spring on the East Coast. I'd never had it before, much less cooked it before, but it turned out pretty well. Its appearance is a bit off-putting; two membranous lobes filled with billions of fish eggs. I delicately sauteed it in some butter, flipped it carefully, then added a couple of strips of bacon for good measure and finished it in the oven for a few minutes. I served it over a bed of arugula with lots of lemon and salt and pepper. It was pretty good, not fishy or caviar-y as you might expect--more like a fish steak, with a slight consistency of liver.

Although I wonder if I liked it only because it was essentially a butter and bacon delivery system.

No comments: