Thursday, October 20, 2011

Side note about photos


You probably already know that I'm spending my free time decorating the new house, primarily by hanging things on the walls (to cover the holes in the walls left by the previous tenants), hanging curtains, and getting some new furniture.

I thought I was being pretty clever by getting new things to hang on the walls, to avoid a huge spackling/repainting project; I hung what we already had, of course, and then (to avoid spackling/repainting) I started getting creative.

I hauled out some old posters, got some cheap poster frames, and hung those.

Then I got a couple of vintage liquor posters on ebay, and hung those. (We now have a vintage liquor them in our entryway, which is way cooler and way more French than it sounds.)

Then I decided to print some 8x10s of some of my old travel photos, frame those, and hang those around.

Here is where it gets tricky.

Naturally I started with the road trip, and went from there. I selected some photos from Rome, one from Buenos Aires, and some from my very first trip abroad, to London and Paris, lo these twelve years ago. I don't think I'd looked at those pictures in the better part of a decade.

Naturally, looking at all those pictures has precipitated a massive wave of wanderlust.

Of course, you're thinking that now I really want to pack up and go to Europe, after looking at my pictures of Rome and Paris and London. You're right, partly--I always want to pack up and go to Europe.

Mainly, though, right now I want to pack up and go out west. Utah, Wyoming, and Montana.

Bear with me here.

The greatest pictures I took on the road trip were in Utah, with a close second in Montana. (Wyoming ranked right up there in terms of scenery, but my photos didn't capture it.) I also got some great shots at Badlands National Park, in South Dakota. Looking at those photos makes me want to return, to really explore those places rather than just zooming through with a camera.

This is not the time of year to go to Wyoming and Montana, I know. It doesn't matter, I won't be going there anytime soon. We can't afford it, and we're going to Costa Rica next month. That should scratch the travel itch, at least for a little while.

Still. Look at that photo. How could you not want to go there?

No comments: