Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake!

By now I'm sure you've heard of yesterday's 5.8 earthquake in central Virginia that rattled buildings all over the East Coast. My husband claims to have felt it at his office in Rhode Island (I didn't). Everyone I know is fine, no injuries or damage.

My parents, oddly enough, were in Gettysburg when it happened. They visited last weekend, and decided to stop off in Gettysburg to do some sightseeing on the way home. It was a lovely visit--we did some sightseeing in Boston, drove to Newport, RI to ogle the mansions, and ate a lot. My mother brought me approximately 12 metric tons of food, which she always does. I'm still working my way through it all.

In other news, waiting tables is going well--I should be able to actually earn money by the end of this week (as opposed to training). My BFF and her kids are visiting next weekend, which I'm very excited about. I seem to have reached the end of the chipmunk infestation; so far the Death Buckets have gotten 15, the tomato carnage has stopped completely, and I haven't seen or heard a live chipmunk in a couple of days. The tomatoes, incidentally, are ripening beautifully.

Plans are going ahead to move to Rhode Island in pursuit of much cheaper rent. Our current landlord seems willing to negotiate our rent down, perhaps considerably--but my husband's work is offering moving assistance and cash in hand. I've been poking around the closets, culling a few items, getting things ready for the inevitable packing.

No comments: