Friday, October 30, 2009

Prom

I know, you're thinking, "Enough with the bean soup already, post some real recipes and a real update, dammit." Quite honestly, I haven't been cooking much this week--a big project has been building all week at work, meaning the guys I work for have been working some very long days and nights, meaning I've been ordering lunch and sometimes dinner too for the whole department. Couple those leftovers with the nine metric tons of Halloween candy floating around the office, and you have the perfect Broke Foodie meal: free leftover deli sandwiches and salads. But this weekend I will tackle the monthly grocery shopping, in addition to the new Thomas Keller cookbook, so new cooking adventures await.

And now you're thinking, "You only go grocery shopping once a month?" Without a car, it's easier to do a big blowout of shopping once a month than worry about how to get around every week. I've also joined a CSA, which will provide me with a large box of locally grown, organic produce every two weeks. (Note: CSA stands for Community-Sponsored Agriculture, not Confederate States of America, as John opined when I brought it up. Too funny!) So between the once-monthly shopping for staples and the box of fresh greenery twice a month, I have no need for more frequent shopping trips. Especially since I've been getting back into menu planning, which means I've got dinners for the next two weeks mapped out in my head. Menu planning is essential for using up things before they go bad.

But I digress. The office I work for has a tradition of making Halloween into a BFD: this year, the theme is 80s Prom. For the past two weeks, fake senior prom posters, trophy cases, streamers, and banks of lockers have been going up around the office. It's already led to prom-induced dreams of prom and high school. The other night I dreamed that I ran into a group of people I went to high school with, who decided they were going to all crash the senior prom. The whole dream was punctuated with me thinking, "A bunch of 35-year-olds crashing the prom is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard of," followed by, "Wait. I don't have a date. THAT'S the most pathetic thing I've ever heard of." When I told John about this dream, his inexplicable reaction was, "Well, conceivably, in a few years, we could go to the prom, as chaperones," which caused a large mental dry heave on my part. I don't know which part was worse: the fact that we're both old enough to be prom chaperones, or that he was serious.

So this morning, when I got dressed, I had to get creative with my now very minimal wardrobe. Never fear, though: an 80s look can be had with the combination of the following very common wardrobe elements. One denim skirt. One pair legwarmers. One old black concert T-shirt, paired with a big slouchy belt. One can AquaNet. All the bangles, rings, and chain necklaces I currently own, all worn at once. One great big earring--just one. One blazer, with popped collar. Blue eyeshadow. Body glitter. Rinse and repeat, as necessary. I haven't been so over-accessorized since 1991. Last night I actually uttered the words, "I have to get up early tomorrow morning so I can tease my hair." I definitely haven't said that since 1991.

John's taking his son for Halloween-related activities tomorrow, so I'm treating myself to a full day of Me. I'm renting a car for the day, running various errands, and then taking myself to see my first play here in Cali: the new Noah Haidle at South Coast Rep. Then Sunday I'll get up early and go cruise the La Jolla Farmer's Market. I can't wait.

No comments: