Sunday, January 25, 2009

Roommate dinner

Last night my roommates and I decided to have a dinner in, since a) it was cold, b) we never really see other or get a chance to hang out, c) we didn't have other plans. We got a bunch of firewood and several good bottles of wine and settled in. I made a pork loin with port sauce, an onion tart, sauteed broccoli rabe, and found some spanokopita in the freezer that Shelby made. I attempted the green tea ice cream--which turned out more like a sweet tea sorbet--and a very rich and decadent dark rum ice cream with crystallized ginger bits. Kind of like a Dark and Stormy, only ice cream. It was the best ice cream so far, except I'll add more ginger next time.

It was lovely to cook and hang out, and we went to a couple neighborhood bars afterwards. The highlight was finding a rum-and-ginger infusion, which smelled exactly like the rum-and-ginger ice cream.

And now I'm sitting around in my bathrobe, eating leftovers. Winter is great for cooking and drinking wine in front of the fire, but it would nice to have a man around for next time. I haven't been dating at all, and I've been thinking I need to get back in the game. Of course, being shot down spectacularly twice in the past two weeks hasn't helped my resolve, but two cats can only provide so much warmth at night.

No comments: