Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Travels

I'm spending the week of Christmas with my sister in Gulfport, MS, with the obligatory side trips to New Orleans. First, I just want to say that 75 degrees is an entirely civilized December temperature, and I'm very happy I'm not in New York right now (current temp: 23). I managed to fly out a day early on Friday and beat all the weekend snow. We spent Friday eating and drinking our way around New Orleans, and I even managed to get a taste of the 2005 Opus One. Unfortunately, it was way too young--it needed to age several more years. Boo. Betsy and I did pick out a nice Riesling for Christmas Day.

Saturday night we went out on the town. Sis gave me a tour of the representative south Mississippi nightclubs. Which, granted, are like any outside-of-New-York bars anywhere; I will say it was obvious that Mississippi is the fattest state in the country. I was completely thrown off by the medical waste drop boxes in the public bathrooms--for used insulin needles from all the diabetics. If a New York bathroom had a medical waste drop box, you can be sure it would be full of heroin needles instead. Nevertheless, I will not be deterred from the po'boys and fried catfish.

And a celebratory side note: I paid off my American Express today! Woo!

No comments: