Thursday, September 5, 2013

I paid off two credit cards


In a week, I'll be back on the East Coast, for a ten-day vacation of sorts. I say "of sorts" because it involves my twentieth high school reunion, my parents' fortieth wedding anniversary, and my best friend's wedding. It may not be exactly relaxing. (Still looking forward to it, though.)

But in addition to stressing out about what I'm going to wear--and don't even get me started on the bridesmaid's dress--I've been stressing about losing ten days of income, across two weekends, essentially a third of my monthly income. Hubs is still unemployed, and while we've managed to claw back nine more weeks of partial unemployment, I'm still stressing about being the primary breadwinner.

Then I realized, part of my ongoing stress is due to our ongoing debt. I've been chipping away at it, but if we could pay off some stuff, I wouldn't have to worry so much about all the bills every month on one income.

So we cashed in our 401ks, and by the end of the month, we will have paid off almost $20K in credit card debt.

Since DH isn't bringing in any income, I don't think we'll need to worry about the tax hit, and why carry meager savings and large debt if we could have no savings but also no debt? This will wipe out the highest-interest cards, taking us down to one that can easily be paid off by the end of the year, which would leave us with one. One!

Plus student loans, and the car, but hey, one thing at a time. Maybe by the time we get down to one credit card, DH will have a job.

And it was a pretty good feeling, looking at those zero balances. It was stressful sending all that money out into the world, but it seems like everything is stressful these days.

In other news, the tire pressure idiot light came on in the car the other day. I checked the tire pressure, determined the two rear tires were a little low, and refilled them. The idiot light went off. A small thing, but I felt very accomplished, to have solved that problem all by myself.

No comments: