Wednesday, January 2, 2013

As Boston said: "Don't look back."


A little pun there: I'm leaving Boston today, to start the official move to Seattle, and Boston the band had a song called "Don't Look Back." Punny, no?

Speaking of songs, I've made a cross-country playlist. This is the first time I've engineered a specific playlist for driving cross-country. Although I didn't so much "engineer" it, as just dump in everything in my iTunes library that included the words "road" or "country" or "moving" or "traveling" or...you get the idea. Then I'll put it on shuffle and see what happens.

There are the usual suspects: "Against the Wind," "Runnin' on Empty," "On the Road Again," "Born to Run." There are a bunch of songs with "America" in the title ("American Girl," "American Pie," several different songs called "America") and a bunch called "Drive" (The Cars, R.E.M.) and "Free" (Concrete Blonde, Prince, "Free Bird," of course).

But there's also "Home Sweet Home" (Motley Crue), "Highway 61 Revisited" (Bob Dylan), "I Drove All Night" (Cyndi Lauper), "Lost in America" (Alice Cooper), and "Don't Stop Believin'" (duh), along with "Move Bitch" (Ludacris), "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" (Starship), and "She's Long Gone" (The Black Keys). I've got the theme music to Thelma and Louise and the National Parks documentary and two different covers of "Where the Streets Have No Name."

So far I've got 20 straight hours of music. But it's a 48-hour drive from coast to coast. Suggestions, anyone?

No comments: